April 4, 2007

For me He slays His Son?

Pastor William Weedon on his excellent blog had a very negative reaction against the words, "Since for me He slays His Son, God must have compassion," found in the new version of "Jesus, I Will Ponder Now" (LSB 440). I was troubled by them as well, but since then have reversed my thinking. I agree that the translation is indefensible. The question now is whether or not such language is theologically justifiable. Our Lord on the night when He was betrayed quotes Zech. 13.7, "I will strike the Shepherd, and the sheep of the flock will be scattered." Clearly it is the LORD of Hosts who strikes the Shepherd in that text. St. Augustine in On the Trinity used this text to show the distinction of Persons within the Holy Trinity, saying, "One divine Person ... suffers from another." So after avoiding singing this stanza on Palm Sunday, I think I'll let it stand.

No comments: