September 26, 2007

Johann Gerhard: Prayer for the Preservation and Increase of Humility

From the last paragraph:

You are the life of my life. You are the soul of my soul. Therefore, I leave my life and soul in Your hands and cling to You completely with a humble heart. May your eminence regard my lowliness. May Your highness regard my worthlessness. Why do I desire to be praised by the world? Nothing in it is pure. Why do I glorify myself so much? The yoke of sin oppressively weighs me down. May a holy fear pierce my heart like a spike so it will not be puffed up with the most dangerous illness--spiritual pride. May my countless sins always be before my eyes, but may my good works, whatever sort they are, be forgotten. I am troubled by the memory of my sins more than I am please by the glory of any impure or imperfect good work that I have done. In You alone do I rejoice and glory. You are my joy and glory for eternity.

From Meditations on Divine Mercy, p107