September 29, 2007

Kleinig: Hymn for the Sacrament of the Altar


I cannot say enough good things about Dr. John Kleinig, Lutheran professor in Australia and author of the outstanding Concordia Commentary volume on Leviticus. In preparing for Bible Class tomorrow, I came across this beautiful hymn for the Holy Communion that he has written. Buy the volume post haste - you will not regret it. Here is the hymn, found on pages 371f of the commentary:




Here we have come to a place that is holy,

The mountain of god,

The city of light.

Here we cross over from earth into heaven,

Receiving by faith

Things hidden from sight.

Here we can join with ten thousands of angels

Who lead us in praise

For what Christ has done.

Here we are part of a worldwide assembly,

In which we are all

Joint heirs with God’s Son.

Here is our Father, the judge of all people,

Who pardons our sins

And shows us his face.

Here we are close to the saints gone before us,

Who rest in the light

Of God’s holy place.

Here we have Jesus, our one mediator,

Who brings God to us

And us back to him.

Here is the blood that makes us sinners holy,

By giving us life

And washing us clean.


UPDATE: Anybody have any good tune suggestions for this meter? I'd like to sing this sometime.

2 comments:

The Musical Engineer said...

I unfortunately left my LSB in church today, but between my TLH and LW, the best I can find is LW:253. The even lines will need some messing with, as this hymn is constructed for one ten-syllable line and the Kleinig hymn is two five-syllable lines. I just looked under 11.10.11.10 in the metrical index to tunes in these hymnals.

And I love the words too. I'd love to sing it some Sunday.

Luke said...

Not a musician, but:

I would suggest the possible use of two tunes that have gone with "Brightest and Best of the Stars of the Morning." The LSB 400 tune MORNING STAR might work, but you'd likely have to break the whole mental connection to that hymn.

In several Anglican/Episcopalian hymnals, you can find the tune EPIPHANY by J.F. Thrupp. That is sung to the "Brightest and Best" words and is easy to learn, but won't have the connection issue. It is also quite accessible, as it's used by thousands of Christians. To me, this tune would work and would be my #1 suggestion.

Perhaps a musician will give you better comments on these suggestions or another tune.

Great words. Might see if my own congregations could learn it.

+Luke Zimmerman