February 10, 2008

Message Board Blues

I have a strong dislike for outdoor church signs on which you can post a message, and curse, sputter, and moan when it has to be changed yet again. For awhile, I got away with putting

CONFESSIONAL DOCTRINE
TRADITIONAL LITURGY
on ours, but then I decided it was lame to have the same thing up there for years on end. So, after the recent spate of advertisements for Christmas and New Year services, and then something about the March for Life, I decided to leave it empty for awhile. (For a brief moment, I toyed with putting up
SIGN BROKEN
MESSAGE INSIDE
just to be "ironic," but I couldn't bring myself to do it.)

So, here are some ideas I had that turned out to be worse than nothing:

DEUS CARITAS EST

NOTHING WORTH SAYING
CAN FIT HERE

DON'T SETTLE FOR DOCTRINE
THAT CAN FIT ON A SIGN

FASTENZEIT IST HIER
JAWOHL!

QUIT LETTING YOUR
DOGS POOP HERE

I still think DEUS CARITAS EST would be a good sign. If you put it up in English, it's just trite. Having it in Latin says to the people who will work it out, "We're serious people in here, people who think - but we have an evangelical message." The counter-argument is that it will seem pretentious. What do you think?

For some hilarious, real-life church signs, click here.

Seen any other good ones? Let me know in the comments.

7 comments:

Timothy said...

Dear pastor, change is lame. :) Anyway, while DEUS CARITAS EST is good--better than most, IMO--I do prefer the first one. I admit I don't have a good reason why. But it just feels right.

By the way, I made this for you. :)

Christopher Esget said...

Timothy,

Well, "Follow your feelings" is generally the theme of my sermons, so I'll keep your feelings in mind next time.

That picture is one of the best gifts I've ever received! Hilarious - thank you!

Timothy said...

Dear pastor,

Oh my! But I know from the Wilken Sermon Diagnostic that a sermon which doesn't even mention feelings can't possibly be about feelings, no matter what claims a pastor makes to the contrary. ;)

You're quite welcome, also. :)

The Rev. BT Ball said...

Ours currently says, "Return to the Lord your God." During the whole Trinity season it read, "The Holy Trinity delivers salvation here." The Christmas/Epiphany Season was "The Word was made Flesh for you." Thanks for giving me something snappy in Latin. The school kids will like it too.
B. Ball+

The Rebellious Pastor's Wife said...

We do Bible verses and hymn lines that are relevant to the season. Our new sign person likes hymns, so right now on one side we have "God in Man Made Manifest" and I don't know what is on the other side since it doesn't face the parsonage.

When the Bapist Church next door got a new sign, the first message said "Have you seen our sign?" I was so tempted to put up "Jews seek signs and Greeks seek wisdom, but we preach Christ crucified." But my hubby wouldn't let me :(

The church next door continues to puzzle me and occasionally tick me off. Right now they have on one side "Every saint has a past" and on the other "Every sinner has a future." Kind of makes me want to be a sinner (wicked laugh)...oh wait, I'm already both.

Cheryl said...

Pastor, just in case you haven't seen it before, here's an entire blog devoted to documenting silly church signs:

http://crummychurchsigns.blogspot.com/

Christopher Esget said...

Oh, that's good. Thanks, Cheryl.