April 10, 2008

LSB: A wonderful gift God has given His Church

There are so many things wrong in the church today; this blog has noted some of them in recent days. Yet as I've been re-reading "Through the Church the Song Goes On" in the last few days--essays on "Preparing a Lutheran Hymnal for the 21st Century"--I am struck by this overwhelmingly happy thought: God allowed us to have Lutheran Service Book. That says boatloads of good about the future of our Synod. It is not a perfect book - but it came at the right time. We've had it for almost a year and a half at Immanuel, and more and more I see how superior it is to Lutheran Worship - and even (gasp!) The Lutheran Hymnal. Our Synod is blessed to have it, and I am grateful to and for the brethren who labored to give us this treasure.

It is a bright, bright sunshiny day in Lutheranism, when God allows His Church to receive this treasure.

4 comments:

Dan @ Necessary Roughness said...

I do like LSB, a lot. I've suggested to people in churches transitioning from TLH that they keep TLH in the pews for some hymns, but on the whole they should like the new LSB's readability and worship opportunities like the Good Friday Chief Service.

Rev. Eric J Brown said...

I find that when I come across a few of the changes in LSB from TLH it strikes me as odd. . . but then, I also note that it strikes me as less odd than it did a year ago. There seems to be a better flow, a better transition from TLH to LSB than there was with TLH to LW. LSB seems more of a natural outgrowth or reasonable development.

toddpeperkorn said...

Thanks for the reminder. I, too, am continually amazed at LSB. Heaven knows it isn't perfect, but I keep finding treasures I didn't even know were there.

wmc said...

As a member of the Liturgy Committee, I am heartened to hear such comments. Working on a hymnal is a humbling experience. We don't claim to have produced perfection, but then, neither did God. Very good is quite sufficient unto the day.