April 14, 2008

What should Father Esget put on his sign?

There was a protest demonstration vigil happening today at the Synodical Office Building, and I was thinking about it as Kassie and I went to pick up our passes to the Papal arrival ceremony at the White House on Wednesday. Kassie asked me, "Why is it that a Lutheran pastor and his wife are going to see the pope again?"

{{{Nota bene: Theoretical exercise only}}}

Which got me to wondering: Could we sneak in a sign? It would need to be on cloth, something I could fold up and keep down the leg of my slacks, or inside my suit coat. So--and this is just for pretend, O good fellows of the Secret Service--what should a Lutheran pastor put on his protest sign for the Pope to read? Leave your best papal protest sign in the comments.

9 comments:

Eric said...

Oh, common...this should be obvious...


95 Thesis


in big, bold letters.

Elizabeth said...

Right, but they should be in Latin, and prefaced with this Latin statement:

"Lege atque lacrima!"

Otherwise, a simple "Die dulci fruere!" will do, if you don't have time to write out the theses.

Christopher Esget said...

I'm not sure the 95 Theses will fit on a sign that I can smuggle past the SS... :)

But if I could, "Lege atque lacrima!" would be a hilarious preface!

Latina est utilis.

Eric said...

Oh, I wasn't suggesting to put all of them on a sign...just a sign that says:

95 Thesis


I'm sure the Pope will know what is being referred to...

wmc said...

"For we hold that a man is justified by faith apart from works of law." (Romans 3:28)

I suggest you leave out Luther's "alone" as it allows them to duck the issue.

wmc said...

Another thought in view of your picture:

"Nice Hat"

Allen said...

If you feel like having your congregational president bail you out of jail:

"ANTI-CHRIST"

or if you wanted to be more obscure:

"2 Thess. 2:9-10"


:-)

Past Elder said...

As a veteran of JPII's Des Moines visit, I would say the best protest would be to stay home.

Lutheran Lucciola said...

I'm a bit late to the game, but if I could label the pope picture itself:

"Welcome to Roy Rodgers, may I take your order?"

I'm here all week, don't forget to tip your waitress.